Friday, June 2, 2017

Wabi-Sabi, The Tale of a Pant


I have made this pattern several times, maybe half a dozen. It's a fun sew, and the pants come out with the lovely high waist of the mid-19th c. Linen, wool, cotton jean it all looks great. Except I keep telling myself not to ever make them out of plaid again. Checks, cross bar, window pane, whatever you call it, it has to be matched.
I sew along with visions of Daniel Day-Lewis in "The Age of Innocence" in my head. Crisply attired in cool summer linen.
Brava! Keep sewing, my friends will cheer on your "deftness".
Then the carefully pinned and matched seems start straying from match. After careful marking, the seams go a little off. I try pulling a little to true the edges but no. Consarnit! The words are milder in the re-telling.
Here is where wabi-sabi comes to my aid,  "the wisdom and beauty of imperfection".
If it can be applied to gardens, art, life, it can be applied to pants.

Beautiful, if slightly off grid. The champagne and sandwiches won't mind.
You know, I can live with it and as they are a gift, my brother can live with it too.

Ever Your Thimble Servant,
Miss Brilliantine 
Yes Girl, I'll come to your picnic.





No comments:

Post a Comment