Monday, May 1, 2017

Yellow Journalism

Literal, not figurative yellow.
I get colors stuck in my head, like songs in the brain. Sitcom theme songs and Theme Park muzak.
How to purge them is as singular as the head they are stuck in. I'm showing and telling in an effort to purge lovely, creamy, apricoty, Spring frothy, yellow.
Not a color I have been confident in wearing in the past.  However not all yellows are the same, some are more equal than others...
Yellow and pink and a froth of white

"The Lady in Gold" by Thomas Cooper Gotch

April May June

Lace and a little ice blue.

I didn't say "yellow fever" once.

Ever Your Thimble Servant,
Miss Brilliantine.

Thursday, April 6, 2017

The Finishing Dance

As I get my sewing groove back, I thought to finish one thing before starting another.
I know, who would have thought of it? I had made the bodice half of a ball gown and had all the moving parts for the rest. After giving myself a pep talk, I finished it.
Now, it wasn't a straight line, I floundered and thought up other designs with other fabrics. Actually made a different underskirt. Haunted the thrift stores for easy make-overs and found a great linen duster that just needed a sleeve adjustment for "Room With A View" ramblings. Changed the buttons and added darts to a blouse, easy useful stuff.
Yet here it is.
I used all the blacks, velvet, satin and organdy.
It is smoother IRL, the flash is not helpful to velvet.
The overskirt is a vintage silk organdy with a velvet flock I call 'chain-link'.

The satin underskirt has the scalloped hem I currently love.  My American Duchess shoes will finally have a chance to dance
 I will call this the black chain link dress and love it, until I don't. I'll put it through it's paces this Saturday at our Spring ball.

Ever Your Thimble Servant,
Miss Brilliantine.

Friday, February 17, 2017

I Made Do and Mended

Or re-purposed or did-over.
Scant sewing going on over here but I have been keen on the re-fashion. I find it fun, like a practical puzzle one can wear.
I found a nice wool 90's era pants suit at the thrift. Great detail and lovely construction, it did have a few issues in the design which tagged it as mid 90's. Looksy

I loved the bias detail but hated the length.

High waisted pegged pants, oh so 90's.
I thought the pants had enough fabric to turn them into a skirt and I was right!
I cut out the lining and opened the leg seams.

I made a center front seam by cutting down the ease.

Here it is laid out flat, I cut off the bottom of the leg below the knee.

I love the bias detail on the side seam. I thought I would need a gore on the cb seam but the pants were wide enough, so no need.
Full disclosure, I took the jacket to a tailor to have cut down. It really is beyond my skill set and I didn't want to risk ruining it just to be thrifty. I wish I had more tailoring chops, it's a different animal.
All tricked out with gloves, a repro hat and a tiny "V" for victory pin.
Side seam detail and I need to stand up straight.
I'm slowly coming around to a few actual sewing projects. Time will tell.

Ever Your Thimble Servant,
Miss Brilliantine.