Saturday, August 31, 2019

In Which I go to a Thing and Craft On.


I packed my littlest basket (tisket-tasket) jumped in the jalopy and drove to San Jose for the Spirit of '45 Day at History Park, celebrating the 75th anniversary of D-Day. It was an excuse to see friends who do a great impression of the WI and Land Girls. The Civil Defense was also there showing youngsters how to properly use a bayonet-
life skills.
The reason for the season. This wall greeted you as you walked in.
Don't let their graciousness fool you, they are jam busters.
The ladies of the WI bake everything using the government issued ration recipes, surprisingly tasty. Surprisingly.
And Buy Bonds!!

The Gatsby Summer Afternoon is fast approaching and I need to finish one of the many put aside projects, or pull the covers over my head, turn my face to the wall and submit to the failure of the back of the closet. My new house mate abetted my indecision by pulling out her suitcase full of vintage patterns. Which enthralled me as I love to decipher a vintage pattern as much as I love a jar of buttons. The precious.
I have boxes and boxes of vintage patterns, but these were new to me. Each one contained crumpled bits of tissue paper that look like scraps, but they reveal themselves with a bit of warm ironing, crazy rorschach shapes. I love the perforations, most are not printed, the easiest hieroglyphs ever.

Vogue! Late '30's Vogue, it was like Christmas.

Pictoral
Folkloric
And the rest.
This has been very good for my creative process, in that now I can dither with purpose. I have carefully copied a few onto sturdy pattern paper, but that aint sewing.
It's more like sewing visualization. 

Ever Your Thimble Servant,
Miss Brilliantine

No comments:

Post a Comment