Friday, August 29, 2014

Get to sewin'

Last week I went downtown to see the Emmy costume exhibit at FIDM. It was great, particularly the Downton Abbey dresses. They do a lovely job of mixing vintage pieces with new construction and make it look seamless. There is also a great exhibit in the Helen Larson room of corsets and amazing extant gowns, late 18th and early 19th century. Wow. They don't allow pictures so you are just going to have to imagine it. Of course no trip to FIDM is complete with out a look around the scholarship store.
YOU know whats coming....

Black and white silk polka dots=30's blouse

Dark blue rayon print=40's dress

Coral cotton print=30's house dress

Browny/blue tweed mystery fabric= 1890's bicycle costume

 I  need these like a hole in the head.

But after inheriting many boxes of fabric, trim, patterns and props from the estate of friends (way too many friends). And after mind churning soliloquies about acquisitiveness, I'm good with it. I'll just keep collecting and let someone else sort it out.





I have made a dent in the stash with a fast and dirty jacket for an event this Saturday.

You all have seen this pattern I know, I have made it a few times with changes. I like a coat sleeve and I'm not crazy about the side points. I only had enough embroidered fabric for the bodice, the sleeves are plain linen.
I'll wear it with a thrift store Indian gauze skirt. You seem doubtful, I'll get pictures.

Meanwhile, the aqua blue seaside dress  reproaches me from the corner.

Ever Your Thimble Servant,

Miss Brilliantine

No comments:

Post a Comment