Thursday, October 23, 2014

WWWD

What would Worth do? Charles Fredrick Worth that is. I've been sucked into serious costume ADD and had started a new ensemble for the 'Great Dickens Christmas Fair' in San Francisco, if you are even remotely close it's not to be missed, we drive up from So Cal. www.dickensfair.com/
Yes I have a perfectly lovely plaid silk jacket and skirt, but I've worn it every year for about 4 years and now I want something else. Then I found a piece of dragonfly silk at the local flea market for $1. Yes a buck. How could I resist.
It's really a crazy lime green. Then this popped into my head. I wasn't going to make a new ball gown for our Victorian Grand ball in Nov.......space is getting scarce.
Philadelphia Museum of Art

I am not a re-creationist, but I love to borrow elements or "collaborate with the past" if you will. Like all the great designers, really (18th c. revival anyone?) And if they can do it, so can I. I thought I'd use the green dragonfly silk for the scalloped side panels. But to line or not to line? I need to face the scalloped bottom, but the entire side piece? It's going to make it rather thick and there are a few more layers on top. Dilemma. WWWD?
See the blue peeking from under the green silk? That's the abandoned skirt for Dickens.

Of course the room is complete chaos with fabric, books, trim for more that one project. I'd show you but you'd only *tisk*.
Old plaid skirt and new turquoise moire, cruelly abandoned.
So HALP! What would Worth do?

Ever Your Thimble Servant,
Miss Brilliantine

No comments:

Post a Comment