Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Here's a Pretty Thing

Plique a jour-Translucent enamel work, it can be seen on Faberge eggs, gentleman's cuff links, every kind of jewelry, delicate trinket boxes and buttons.
"But how can I, a mere sewist of reproductions afford such a luxury?", I hear you ask.
You paint them, dear Reader. 
I know you haunt the hobby shops, I know you have friends who play war games with painted armies. The phrase, "Would you like to see my Zulu warrior?" means just that. I know you know a Janissary when you see one. Why be coy, you know your Testor model paints.

Iridescent model paint. The metallic finish gives the lovely finish.

I  love those luscious buttons, colored enamel and metal work. Very expensive if you can find them in sets, but I will show you a creditable substitute and it's easy. I have painted glass and metal buttons, they give slightly different effects but work equally well, I haven't tried it on plastic, but have a go, the paints are made for plastic models.
The top 2 are silver over black glass, painted with purple iridescent paint. The bottom 2 are metal painted with the green.
I sewed the buttons onto a cardboard scrap and painted them with a random brush. No special equipment required. The paint will settle into the low spots, you can dry brush some of the paint off if you want the metal/glass to show through the paint. This paint takes a good 24 hours to cure. I wouldn't risk sewing them on to a garment until they are completely dry.
Cheap metal buttons look fine, when you know the secret.
 I have only used the metallic finish paint. I think the gloss would work well but would look more opaque. Go forth and paint all the buttons!

Ever Your Thimble Servant,
Miss Brilliantine

No comments:

Post a Comment